Nov 23, 2009

International Collectors Fair Utrecht

VerzamelaarsJaarbeurs



This past weekend I went up to my favorite country... The Netherlands , for the International Collectors Fair in Utrecht. Here are some of my pictures from the show, but for a more extensive view of how much just really was at this show, you can click here for hundreds of shots. We arrived a few minutes after it opened. parking was easy, there were several parking garages around the Civic Center. It was 2.50 euros per hour or 24 euros for the day.

there were a few catered lunch counters, imbiss and coffee with seating areas through out.


this was the long line to get in the doors of the show.. to the right that is the line for tickets! we bought and printed ours online...saved us a good hour!

entrance to the show


The Mega Record & Cd show was held in the hall as well. It was incredible!


for a list of vendors click here


They did have a special Star Wars exhibit, with many of the actors from the movie.. here my husband cooperates for his photos. =)





There were many differant items in the antique section... but truthfully, i was not totally impressed. the prices were okay, a bit pricey, and you definately had to shop around.. several vendors had the same items and one would be much cheaper down the way. i purchased some vintage ornaments for half the price of the first booth i saw.


But for a collectors show, i would think there should have been more vendors focusing on one or two particular items to sell, instead of a little bit of everything. while rummaging through the flea market style antique section, i did spot vendors with specifics, such as stain glass doors, vintage signs, books, dolls, silver, white linens.... but not many.

Among the Categories at the Show, in seperate halls, were vintage and antique toys ( definately my favorite) coins, comic books, stamps, and records.
I did go through each section, but if it wasn't what you were particuarly intersted in, it was easy to move on to the next hall.
The food was pricey. A whopping 12 euros for a small roll with cheese, and 2 waters! ( you can bring your own in ) we finished the show in 6 hours. and that was moving pretty fast, and stopping for a quick bite.


There weren't any appraisers standing around if you wanted to bring anything to inquire on.


But you are welcome to bring any of your items to sell or trade with vendors. My father came with us, and he sold a few comic books for a great price.

everyone was incredibly friendly!!!!! so refreshing; and everyone spoke english. i enjoyed talking to vendors learning the history of some of their pieces, and watching them sell their wares. I really enjoy the people more than anything.
everyone's opinions vary greatly depending on what they are going for. you never know what you just might find.

















what did I buy?

a vintage beaded christmas garland i have been wanting for years. saw one once at the antique market in tongren belgium for 150 euros ( 3 ft strand) i purchased mine for 20 euros (4ft strand) . that made my day, and i didn't mind if couldn't find anything else! =) i did get my daughter a new in the box vintage nurses outfit from world ward II era, complete. she looks adorable in it! 8 euros.

and i also collect the barenwald animals for my kids , and i got 1o to the set for 50 cents a piece! they average 5-8 euros each on ebay. so it was a great deal!
if you decide to go, and are looking for true antique bargains..you will have to search hard, or stick to flea markets. =) these are dealers who know what their items are worth. so expect to pay it's full value. They were willing to bargain at many stalls. some offered me a lower price as soon as i picked something up.
It's tons of fun to walk around and see everything. ( yes it is stroller friendly) it is 5 hours from kaiserslautern.










1 comment:

  1. oh my goodness...this looks amazing. I do have to say that I find comfort in knowing that it was somewhat pricey - it makes me feel a little better about not getting to go!!! sadness.... I would have loved to look through all of this - it looks dreamy!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Angela

Angela

About The Market Junkie

Welcome. My Name is Angela... AKA The Market Junkie.

I am a stay at home home school mama of 3, and this is my hobby. Family comes first, then my love of markets and second hand fun! I love visiting the markets in Europe. I love to refinish old pieces and re-purpose them. Living in the Rheinland Pfalz area- my posts reflect the distance to markets and shops from the Kaiserslautern area.

I enjoy the adventure, and hope that you will come along with me! 10 years in Germany, and lovin' it!